Thursday, March 1, 2012

Table fellowship on Monday night

In new cookbooks I like to read the introduction, the authors thoughts and feelings about food. Sense I have a long standing love affair with food and enjoy every step in the process of ending up with something wonderful to eat, I never tire of reading cookbooks.
In one of the new cookbooks from the library, the introduction had a section titled (in big letters), STOP ENTERTAINING! That caught my eye. In a nut shell, the author talks about how the very word 'Entertain' makes people cringe! How can something so ultimately satisfying cause so much anxiety? She says we tend to think we have to have a spotless house, matching plates and cups, cook something new or fancy, buy flowers for the table, iron the table cloth, have well behaved children, etc, etc. So by the time everyone arrives, you're in no mood for a party. Somehow 'Entertaining' is different than just having people over.
She calls it table fellowship, and I like that. There is something wonderful about sharing food, eating and talking with those you love. Whether your at the table, around the campfire, by the pool, on a blanket outside, on pillows at the coffee table..... She says life goes on, there will always be dishes to wash, laundry to fold, and bills to pay.  I know I didn't say it as eloquent, but I understand and feel its importance. So I thought, she's right, there will never be a perfect time. So I called my mom and told her that if she brought the avocados, I would make fresh salsa and quiche for supper. Then Jennifer calls (she was at my moms), and says thanks for not inviting her, which I promptly did, then Jeremy shows up having heard I was making supper. (Something I do every night) I had one quiche, chips and salsa. Needless to say it wasn't enough, but I was able to make Mathew and Jeremy happy with frozen burritos (yuck!), Stuart had leftovers from Sunday dinner because he does not like eggs, cut up some fresh veggies, and we all sat down together. Esther liked the quiche, so between her, Jennifer, Colston, my mom and I, we ate it all. After, I made peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. It was all spur of the moment, and fun.
I am missing the girls, and I know that soon enough even Mathew and Esther will be gone. So, I am going to make an effort to improve mealtime, and enjoy our time together, and whoever comes to my table harried and bickering, leaves calm and relaxed, I will feel I have achieved great success.

 My buddies

 Happy Birthday Barry!!!

  Jacob and Elana....our newest love birds.

  Emma, Meri, Lilly with Brandon in the background.

I think this is a funny picture. Ruby (back), and Zach some day soon will be better than I with electronics!

No comments:

Post a Comment