Monday, September 21, 2009

Off to college!

Its amazing to me that I am at this point in my life. It is true when people say that your children grow up in a blink of an eye. Its something you don't really believe will happen until it does.
I had a rush of memories the whole way to Utah. I was sad to think that my Brianna wasn't a little girl any more but on the verge of her own new life. Its happy and sad at the same time. Its hard for me to write about this trip. Like a whirlwind of emotion. A mothers feelings most often cant be put into words, they are her own. But- I will do my best.

We made a trip out of taking Brianna to BYU Idaho by going a few days early, to visit my grandparents in Utah. We drove in my moms (Connie) car because of the better gas mileage. The girls slept most of the first half. We ate way to much junk food. We stopped at our favorite rest stop that is just into Idaho. Its were we always stop for lunch, and a good stretch.

This was taken in 1994, Brianna was three, Elizabeth was two.



Always happy. She looks the same to me.




Sixteen years later.... (Same rest stop)
Elizabeth-17, Brianna-18


We always look at the Snake river at that rest stop. Its a land mark for us.
That meant we were half way there when we saw it.

We got to my Grandparents (Meyer) house Friday night, and had
fresh corn,Great Harvest bread,toasted of course, and fresh peaches
from their peachtree. Sigh, what a treat for me!
With a little piece of chocolate.
Saturday we had more yummy toast and peaches.

We have toast with every meal. Its one of the memories I have
of my grandma, and being at her house. There is always toast!

We did the same things...
Walking the grounds of the Logan Temple...
(My favorite)

Brianna & Elizabeth


Angela (me) - Grandma Meri Meyer- Connie (mom)

Awww - Sisters
(I made them stand for this picture, you can tell I know)

Getting an ice cream and squeaky cheese at the cheese factory in Logan...

It was like a trip down memory lane for me. Doing all the things
we did when they were young. We didn't go to Willow park because
there wasn't time.They are probably to old for the little park/zoo
any ways. I have a feeling that I like these things more than they
do, and they do them for me.What wonderful girls I have.

Grandma had LOTS of tomatoes from her garden that we helped her can...




Sunday we went to church. Last time the girls played cards with
Jonathan out in the grass during Sunday school and Y.W. This time they
went with me to Relief Society. I think they liked playing with Jonathan
better. We had supper with family after church. Jeremy even came up
from Brigham to see us.

Brianna - Jeremy - Elizabeth

Brianna-Jeremy-Elizabeth-Angela (me)-Connie (mom)

There is a canal that is behind my grandmas house. When I was young
I used to swim in it during the summer, and Ice skate on it in the winter.
We even raced the 4-wheelers up and down the canal bank.

Elizabeth and I going to walk on the canal bank.

There is a train track behind their house that the trains still run on
every day. We have smashed LOTS of pennies on the tracks.



Fixing supper...




Where in the fridge is it???

We left for Rexburg early Monday morning. We planned to meet Shelby and her grandparents at the apartment. Surprisingly we were on time! We drove right to it, thanks to Elizabeth's sharp eyes. The girls checked in, got registered, and unpacked. They got the best room, because they were there at 8:00 a.m. They had a lot of stuff! We took them to Walmart for groceries and miscellaneous items, and we even found a Dollar Tree.



Brianna and Shelby,
all moved in.

They are staying one block west of the campus, so they can easily walk.

Elizabeth-Angela (me) -Brianna-Shelby
The campus grounds were so nicely landscaped.


When we said good by, I was proud to say that I did not cry. Brianna was ready to start with her group activities, and was so excited. So we got some lunch and drove to the new Rexburg Temple and ate our lunch. -I have to say that I could not have asked for a better ending to that day! I cannot put into words the feelings of having your child be out of your reach to go it on her own. All the questions of did I teach her enough, did I show her enough love, will she be strong, and will she be safe, will she eat right or enough? These questions tear at you heart.
Walking around the Temple grounds I felt the quiet calming reassurance that this is right. It will be alright. It was a beautifully day. I was able to do it with the loving help from my Heavenly Father. -Now, I know that I am not the first mother to send a child off to college, nor will I be the last. But for me, this was a learning experience. If I put my trust in the Lord, I can do any thing!

4 comments:

  1. This is by FAR the greatest blog you have ever written. I love you sister, and yes, I hope to one day be HALF the mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jennifer. What a gooood blog entry. I enjoyed reading that and I think you are a super cute Mom. Your kids are awesome so I think the answer to all thsoe questions at the end is yes. You are awesome! I loved those pictures too. They made me happy =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That post was perfect! Great job...and Brianna does look just like she did when she was little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with the ladies above. this post was so precious and sweet. :) i'm so excited (and jealous) for all the experiences and fun times Brianna is going to have! That's so good for her. :) I loved all of the pictures. Your girls are so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete