It has been a little over a year sense I went gluten free. I had read in several books, articles, websites.... that gluten may be a contributor to migraines. I was on a daily preventative medication that only worked sometimes, and then relied on Ibuprofen. I finally decided to give the gluten free diet a try after I kept track of how many meds I was taking. Yikes, it was a lot!
I resisted, how can wheat, the staff of life, be bad for me? So, very reluctantly I gave it up to see if there would be any relief.
Well, I am sad and happy to have found out that gluten is not good for me. (In my opinion, after all I am not a doctor). I feel like a new person, not only about fewer migraines (which are mostly gone, except once a month, and they will go away after menopause, which my doctor did tell me), but I just feel better all around. Even if gluten is not the cause of my migraines, taking it out of my diet has had enough of a change for the better, that I will not go back.
It is still hard sometimes. I miss toast, and this chocolate cake the most.
I have come to accept this new life style. Not my family, who turns their nose up if I say its gluten free. Its ok, not all things gluten free are good. Nothing store bought, or premade, except gluten free pretzels and bagel chips. I am resigned to all home made food and snacks. Except.........
these darn Reese's!!!! They hit the spot when I need something sweet, which is every day! I should buy them by the box! I am so so glad that chocolate, sugar, and peanut butter are gluten free. I think I would die if they weren't!
So now I am keeping an open mind to a new way of cooking and baking. It is hit and miss, trial and error. There are so many websites, blogs, and books that have gluten free recipes and information, that I will have plenty of things to try.
I want to try these this weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment