Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I DID IT!!!


Friday, June 5th, 2009, I climbed Mt. St. Helens.
Lisa was my buddy. We agreed before hand that if
either one of us couldn't make it to the top, or didn't
want to, that we would both stay together.


My moms buddy didn't want to go all the way to the top,
so it was the three of us.
We stopped a lot for snacks, and rested our legs. 



It was foggy most of the way. I was hoping that it would be
clear at the top so I could see into the mountain. 
Its a little funny how when you cant see ahead, the
trail seems like it will go on forever, but when you can 
see the destination, you feel like you can make it.
I thought we would never make it over all the rocks to 
the snow, but when the sun came out and I could see
where the rocks ended, it was a beautiful sight!

It doesn't  look like it is steep, it might even look easy,
but that last part, probably the last mile, I could only 
take a few steps at a time. I would have to tell myself to
breath slow and deep. I tended to breath fast and shallow.
I honestly did not think I would make it to the top.


But I made it! 
It was worth the climb. There are no words for the feelings I 
had when I sat on the rim and could look all around me. I could
see into the volcano, and the surrounding mountains. 
It was peaceful and quiet.

Except for the boulder that rolled down the inside of the 
mountain, and that sounded like thunder!





We slid back down on black garbage bags. It looked like
we were going to slide into the clouds.
It was an experience I couldn't explain, or ever forget.

1 comment:

  1. These are great pictures! Thanks for sharing your story:) I was there in spirit..hee hee:)

    ReplyDelete